[rrd-users] Re: rrd update

Clifton Royston cliftonr at lava.net
Fri Jul 20 20:22:30 MEST 2001

On Fri, Jul 20, 2001 at 07:56:02AM +0200, Paul Pot wrote:
> You could change the COUNTER to DERIVE - this will do the trick.

FYI, you also have to set a min value of zero, or your 800M spikes
will simply change to huge negative spikes.

> To:   rrd-users at list.ee.ethz.ch
> cc:    (bcc: Paul Pot)
>
> Subject:  [rrd-users] rrd update
>

> I'm using RRD to monitor Apache and MySQL ( http://www.meshier.com/stats/ )
> with DS set to COUNTER.  Whenever I restart Apache or MySQL their internal
> counters reset to zero.  However, RRD reports the maximum (800M or something
> around there)  The documentation says its suppose to handle reset counters,
> yet my graphs are showing otherwise.  Any ideas?

  RRD itself doesn't handle counter resets, though it handles counter
wraps.  RRD presumes it is being fed by an SNMP or other monitor which
has the smarts to know when a device resets.  Unfortunately that's a
lot harder than it sounds, so lots of tools and applications using RRD
have this same problem.

  I second the advice to go to DERIVE (with a min of 0.)  That's the
default for the new in-progress release of Cricket, and looks like it
will solve this, which is the single most FAQ for Cricket/RRD users.

  -- Clifton

 Clifton Royston  --  LavaNet Systems Architect --  cliftonr at lava.net
   WWJD?   "JWRTFM!" - Scott Dorsey (kludge)   "JWG" - Eddie Aikau