[rrd-users] Newbie RRD User - Questions

Schroeder, Dennis Dennis.Schroeder at sanmina.com
Mon Jul 23 22:03:06 MEST 2001

I am new to RRDTool (I've been an MRTG user) and I need some help.

If I use the following command line (and update the RRD every minute):

rrdtool create file.rrd --step 60 DS:Load:GAUGE:120:0:255
 RRA:MAX:0.5:1:720        (RRA #1)
 RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:1:720    (RRA #2)
 RRA:MAX:0.5:60:168       (RRA #3)
 RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:60:168   (RRA #4)
 RRA:MAX:0.5:1440:180     (RRA #5)
 RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:1440:180 (RRA #6)

The following should be true:
 RRA #1 will record a MAX value every minute and store it for 12 hours
 RRA #2 will record an AVG value every minute and store it for 12 hours
 RRA #3 will record a MAX value every hour and store it for 7 days
 RRA #4 will record an AVG value every hour and store it for 7 days
 RRA #5 will record a MAX value every day and store it for 180 days
 RRA #6 will record an AVG value every day and store it for 180 days

Here are my questions:

#1. Is my understanding above correct?

#2. If I GRAPH "AVERAGE", does it automatically select the RRA based on the
time period of the graph?

#3. In a test I've been running, the AVERAGE and MAX graphs are almost
exactly the same over short periods of time (hours), but if I graph a week
or more the peaks seem to start to show up...is this common?

Thanks!

Dennis Schroeder                                ||        ||
Network Engineer                                ||        ||
SANMINA Global Network Services                ||||      ||||
Phone:  602-824-8431                       ..:||||||:..:||||||:..
Mobile: 602-432-3258                          Cisco  Certified
Email:  dennis.schroeder at sanmina.com         Network  Associate