[rrd-users] Simple plotting with rrdtool, no averaging

A.N.Varady aharon at simpletone.com
Thu Jun 28 20:40:33 MEST 2001

Hi,

Thanks for the quick response from everyone to my last question. I learned a few
handy cron and perl tricks, like using qx instead of system and adding "2>&1
/dev/null" after my script to be run in the cron.

My next question:

I made a perl script to calculate and log how long it takes for our mail server
to process (send and receive) email. I've added some lines to export the log
info to rrdtool, so that rrdtool could graph the log data.

What I want to be able to do is simply plot time for the last 36 hours on the x
axis, and the number of seconds it's taken a message to be processed on the y
axis.

I read through the man pages and the tutorial, and I got only so far in my
understanding (especially of RRA, I wish there were some example images in Alex
van den Bogaerdt's tutorial).

My problem is that my graph skips spikes.

Here's a sample of log info I update my rrd with:
---------------
993736201:1
993736801:0
993737401:1
993738002:1
993738636:36
993739201:1
993739802:1
993740401:1
993740481:2
993740578:2
993740729:1
993740789:1
993740901:1
993741001:1
993741057:1
993741143:1
-----------------
When rrdtool tries to graph this, it skips entries which would spike like
"993738636:36".

You can see my rrdtool graph at:
http://www.serve.com/mailpulse.htm

In my perl script my rrdtool create command looks like this:

rrdtool create /home/var/rrd/mailpulse.rrd --start $start
DS:latency:GAUGE:600:U:U RRA:AVERAGE:0.1:1:1440

My rrdtool graph command looks like this:

rrdtool graph /home/httpd/html/mailpulse.gif --title Mailpulse -v
delivery_time_in_sec -w 500 -h 125
DEF:mylatency=/home/var/rrd/mailpulse.rrd:latency:AVERAGE LINE2:mylatency#FF0000

How can I create a graph which simply plots the data as I have it in my log,
showing all data elements and not trying to average them?

Thanks for your help.

Aharon