[rrd-users] help with average

Smita smita at netli.com
Fri Jun 29 21:32:42 MEST 2001

Hi,
 I have an rrd as follows:
rrdtool create test.rrd  --start
920804400                                    DS:speed:COUNTER:600:U:U
RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:1:24

Q1. If I understand correctly, this means that if the interval between
two speeds colleted is more than 600 seconds then rrd treats it as
unknown. So, I should make sure that the interval doesn't exceed 600
seconds. Am I right?

Q2. This RRA will average my data every time I sample it and keep 24 of
such averages in archive. (a) What does sample mean? Does it mean to
update my RRD?
         (b) How do I access the RRAs to retrieve my old data?

Q3. DEF:myspeed=test.rrd:speed:AVERAGE
myspeed is average of speed over what interval of time?

I am very much confused. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.
Smita