[rrd-users] Re: could not lock RRD

Dave Plonka plonka at doit.wisc.edu
Tue Mar 6 22:44:28 MET 2001

On Tue, Mar 06, 2001 at 04:22:01PM -0500, Paul C. Williamson wrote:

> I am trying to run mrtg/rrd from box 2, but the configs and data live on box 1.
> When I try to run 'box2/mrtg box1/mrtg.cfg', mrtg comes back to tell me that
> rrdtool could not update blah.rrd with the data it retrieved because it could
> not lock the rrd.  RRDTool also lives on box 2.  I have full rights to thisv
>  olume, and can create all kinds of files on this volume.  What am I missing
> that's preventing me from locking the blah.rrd database?

Paul,

While you didn't say that you're using NFS, it sounds as though you are
and that your ability to lock files across NFS is broken.  Check the
health of your rpc.lockd and rpc.statd processes - they are responsible
for maintaining file locks on NFS file systems.

Here's some pertinent posts from a similar discussion we had some time
ago in the FlowScan mailing list:

   http://net.doit.wisc.edu/~plonka/list/flowscan/archive/0265.html
   http://net.doit.wisc.edu/~plonka/list/flowscan/archive/0266.html

Dave