[rrd-users] extending RRAs... scripts? suggestions?

Dave Plonka plonka at doit.wisc.edu
Tue Mar 6 22:59:59 MET 2001

RRD users,

I'm interested in extending my RRAs.  Basically I've got lots of ".rrd"
files that were created nearly 2 years ago, e.g.:

   rrdtool create foo.rrd --step 300 \
   DS:bar:ABSOLUTE:400:U:U \
   RRA:AVERAGE:0:1:600 \
   RRA:AVERAGE:0:6:600 \
   RRA:AVERAGE:0:24:600 \
   RRA:AVERAGE:0:288:732 \
   RRA:MAX:0:24:600 \
   RRA:MAX:0:288:732

and real soon now they will begin to lose old daily AVERAGE and MAX
values.  I guess I just ned to be able to extend those daily RRAs to
perhaps 5 years so I get some breating room.

Anyone have a script around to do this?

If not, I'd like to write one which allows me to add more rows to the
end of the (last?) RRA by using "rrdtool dump" and "rrdtool restore",
somewhat similarly to the way "add_ds" works.  I'm considering using
the hacked XML::Simple that I used in the early "log2rrd"
("http://net.doit.wisc.edu/~plonka/log2rrd/") to grok the "rrdtool
dump" output.

Alternatives or caveats with this proposed method are welcome (please
Cc me personally), as I need to do this *soon*.

Thanks,
Dave

--
plonka at doit.wisc.edu  http://net.doit.wisc.edu/~plonka  ARS:N9HZF  Madison, WI