[rrd-users] Re: Why NaN in rrd fetch

sevillar at team.ph.inter.net sevillar at team.ph.inter.net
Mon Mar 12 07:07:53 MET 2001

On 12 Mar, Anant Tamgole wrote:
> Dear Rafael,
>
> I am getting NaN in the middle. If so, then what can be the problem.
> (because snmpwalk is giving me nice numbers.)

NaN means not-a-number, which is a floating-point code defined by
the IEEE 754 standard (which most FPU's in commodity PC's adhere to).
It is generally produced by arithmetic operations that produce invalid
results, such as division by zero.  I think by rrdtool is programmed to
ignore FPU exceptions and so produces these codes whenever such things
occur. Check the operations rrdtool performs and see if your data
can induce a division by zero (most common) or some other type of FPU
error.

--
Rafael R. Sevilla <sevillar at team.ph.inter.net>   +63(2)   8177746 ext. 8311
Programmer, InterdotNet Philippines              +63(917) 4458925