[rrd-users] Re: Logarithmic scale labels

steve rader rader at ginseng.hep.wisc.edu
Thu May 3 18:34:14 MEST 2001

 > From: Antoine Delvaux
 > Yes in your case it's not very practical, sure.  But in my application I'm
 > dealing with scales like these ones :
 > 1000      1e+03
 >  100      1e+02
 >   10      1e+01
 >    1      1e+00
 >
 > And I'd prefer to have the first one instead of the second, it's easier to
 > read.  Don't you think it could be a useful feature of RRDtool to be able
 > to chose one of these two types of scale ?

A simple solution (that NRG uses) is to scale ms to secs and store
secs.  Then you'll get very nice PRINT labels (eg "msec/rtt" and
"sec/rtt" and pretty okay y-axis labels:

 10000 -> 10
  1000 -> 1
   100 -> 100 ms
    10 -> 10 ms
     1 -> 1 ms

see

 http://nrg.hep.wisc.edu/nrg-demo/tcp/Jasmine/Jasmine-pop-tcp-resp.cgi

vs

 http://nrg.hep.wisc.edu/nrg-demo/tcp/Jasmine/Jasmine-ssh-tcp-resp.cgi

And if you get RTTs greater than 999 seconds, you should re-architect
your network or stop sending packets to mars or live with "ksec"
labels!

steve
- - -
systems & network guy