[rrd-users] Re: Bug? maybe

Clifton Royston cliftonr at lava.net
Tue May 8 22:00:16 MEST 2001

On Tue, May 08, 2001 at 10:08:25AM -0400, Josh Goldfarb wrote:

> Well Just a wierd thing that I noticed while checking over some graphs.
> I have a 64K line and mrtg and rrdtool are telling me that
> my max in is 43.759K (23.30%)  ????
>
> also max out is   63.660K (64.22%)
>
> Either it is me (which it could be) or something is wrong with the
> math.

Most likely something is wrong with the bandwidth setting for the line.

If you are using a Cisco, at the IOS prompt, "show int" will show you
the bandwidth in the output, something like this:

Serial5/0 is administratively down, line protocol is down
  Hardware is M8T-V.35
  MTU 1500 bytes, BW 2048 Kbit, DLY 20000 usec, rely 255/255, load 1/255

The "BW" is the bandwidth setting, and this is what MRTG will retrieve
via the SNMP ifSpeed variable and use as the basis for the calculation.
I suspect this is currently set to something other than 64Kbit.
(Though I do not know why MRTG should apparently be using an
inconsistent value for the in and the out directions.)
  -- Clifton

 Clifton Royston  --  LavaNet Systems Architect --  cliftonr at lava.net
   WWJD?   "JWRTFM!" - Scott Dorsey (kludge)   "JWG" - Eddie Aikau