[rrd-users] Re: Graph question - multiple graphs from same DS

Clifton Royston cliftonr at lava.net
Thu Nov 1 00:04:52 MET 2001

On Wed, Oct 31, 2001 at 12:59:15PM -0800, David Gabler wrote:

> All,
>
> To give some background,  I use rrdtool to store relative humidity data.
> This past weekend I moved my sensor to a new location.  Now I want to see
> how the sensor compares in this new position to others.
>
> Is there a way to graph four sets of data, each set from the same DS in the
> same RRD but from different times?  e.g. graph the first 24 hours from ds0
> of the past four months in the same graph.

I'm not aware of any way to do graphs with different time offsets
directly within rrdtool.  At any rate, the question does come up
regularly, and I've never seen any answer of a way to do it directly.

> I figure I can do this if I do dump,  pull the data from the dump I want to
> graph, turn to proper xml format,  restore the data to a rrd and then graph
> 4 diff DS's.
>
> Just curious if there is an easier way.

That sounds like it would work, and no, there probably isn't an easier
way.
  -- Clifton

 Clifton Royston  --  LavaNet Systems Architect --  cliftonr at lava.net
   WWJD?   "JWRTFM!" - Scott Dorsey (kludge)   "JWG" - Eddie Aikau