[rrd-users] Questions regarding compiling rrdtool

Jesus (John) Salvo Jr. john at softgame.com.au
Fri Nov 16 03:43:22 MET 2001

Hi, just started using MRTG and then read about RRDTool.
I have a few questions WRT to compiling RRDTool:

I am using Solaris 8. GNU gcc, Sun's make, and perl comes pre-installed with
Solaris 8. However, I have to install libtool separately by downlaoding from
sunfreeware.com.

1) configure problem with libtool

When running ./configure, I get the the following:

*** Warning: the command libtool uses to detect shared libraries,
*** /usr/bin/file, produces output that libtool cannot recognize.
*** The result is that libtool may fail to recognize shared libraries
*** as such.  This will affect the creation of libtool libraries that
*** depend on shared libraries, but programs linked with such libtool
*** libraries will work regardless of this problem.  Nevertheless, you
*** may want to report the problem to your system manager and/or to
*** bug-libtool at gnu.org

Do I have to be worried about this warning message?

2) libpng and zlib

The rrd-tools source comes with source for gd, libpng and zlib. Solaris 8
already comes with zlib while I have already installed libpng using the
package from sunfreeware.com. ... while I have just installed gd as a result
of using MRTG.

What I did was change the Makefile in the src directory so that it is now:

# SUBDIRS = cgilib-0.4 config gd1.3 zlib-1.1.3 libpng-1.0.9           src
doc examples contrib tcl
SUBDIRS = cgilib-0.4 config src doc examples contrib tcl

However, when running make, I get:

make: Fatal error: Don't know how to make target `../gd1.3/librrd_gd.la'
Current working directory /export/home/jsalvo/rrdtool-1.0.33/src
*** Error code 1
make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `all-recursive'

Is there anyway to have an option in configure not to build libpng and zlib
libraries and instead use ( including headers in the -I option of gcc ) the
existing ones that I have?

Thanks,

John