[rrd-users] Frontend for RRDTool, What's your opinion?

Gerhard Ecaroh Froehlich gerhard.froehlich at produktion.gis-online.de
Fri Nov 30 10:38:50 MET 2001

Hello,

excuse my unspecific question. I'm going to migrate from MRTG to RRDTool. I
would be glad to hear some of your opinions about a scalable Frontend (and
collector).

What i have to monitor is:
 - over 100 Sun Solaris Server
 - 100's of custom made processes and binaries giving custom output
 - doing real-time dataprocessing distributed via Satellite

Of course, there is a need having a scalable frontend and data collector
(SNMP/custom scripts) without reeventing the wheel. And also code which will be
a startingpoint with clear and functionable code on which i can rely and use to
extend it for my needs. I spent some time in evaluating 14all, cricket,
RRGrapher and similar tools. But time is progressing cause every test results in
troubleshooting for compiling, installing different modules and configuring till
tests succeed. So, what experiences did you made with RRDTool Frontends in large
environments? Is there your prefered solutions which fit such needs?

Any comments and sugestions would be highly appreciated. Feel free to mail
directly to my address if you feel that my wish is not interesting for the list.
Thank you all.

Cheers, Ecaroh

--
Gerhard Ecaroh Froehlich