[rrd-users] Re: Frontend for RRDTool, What's your opinion?

Jesper Skriver jesper at skriver.dk
Fri Nov 30 19:23:59 MET 2001

On Fri, Nov 30, 2001 at 10:17:36AM -0800, Jason Fesler wrote:

> > Of course, there is a need having a scalable frontend and data collector
> > (SNMP/custom scripts) without reeventing the wheel. And also code which will be
> > a startingpoint with clear and functionable code on which i can rely and use to
>
> Ultimatley I wrote my own that was better suited to my environment than the
> other front ends were.  RRD's biggest expense is IO, not CPU, at least when
> it comes to data storage.  Graphing is CPU intensive, but we solved that by
> only showing graphs when needed, and making the display system flexible (I
> have a single iamge showing thing that takes all of its info by URL, and
> people just make web pages refering to the url to pull the data they want
> displayed..).
>
> I currently update 8700 files once a minute; each file has on average 10 DS's.
> I'm doing this on an e450 with 2x 8 drive raid5 configurations.  I probably
> should have striped things for IO speed - I use every bit of IO I have but
> hardly touch the space.  On average I'm in about 60 %busy on IO, which is
> definately taking its toll on the machine interactiveness.

A good idea is to spool the updates, then every X minutes sort
them so you have multiple updates to the same RRD file right
after each other, that helps a LOT on the IO load.

/Jesper

Work:    Network manager   @ AS3292 (Tele Danmark DataNetworks)
Private: FreeBSD committer @ AS2109 (A much smaller network ;-)