[rrd-users] Repost: RMON TopN and RRD

Rich Satterlee rjsat at cisco.com
Mon Oct 8 17:33:17 MEST 2001

Good morning-

I'm reposting my request.  The eariler one
had no replies and I'm hoping it just got
overlooked.

I am working with an RMON agent.  I wish to continue using
RRD for collecting information from the hostTopN and matrix
groups.

Some of the information I wish to retrieve using the rrd
fetch command where non-graphical reports will be generated.

In the above mentioned groups, there is data relating to mac
addresses and IP addresses.  These values will change over
time and (naturally) should not be interpolated.  When
wandering through the source code for the update section
of rrd, I see that all of the data source types go through
some sort of manipulation, even if it is a (double) divide by
1.00.  Rounding errors (I feel) will cause the data I wish to
store to be in error.

Has anybody got any "tricks" for acomplishing the storage of
this sort of data?  I would like to continue running rrd and I
really don't want to hack in a "raw" data type.  Needless to
say, I don't want the overhead of a full blown relational non
round robin data base either.

So any suggestions would be appreciated.  Thanks in advance!

  Cheers,

    Rich S.