[rrd-users] RRDs::fetch & graph

Nic LAWRENCE nicl at ftech.net
Tue Oct 30 19:02:58 MET 2001

Hi there,

We use a pretty vanilla mrtg/rrd setup to monitor bandwidth on our
switches so we can bill co-location server customers for bandwidth based
on their monthly average in and out traffic.

Up until now we've had some poor guy who compares the averages on the
graphs to what bandwidth they have paid for... but I am now attempting to
put a simple script together to pull average data out of the .rrd's on the
first of every calendar month and save it to a mySQL database
automatically, thereby removing the middle man.

I'm using RRDs::fetch, and can get the raw data from the .rrd fine,.. and
am calculating the average in the perl script. However the averages which
I come to are always slightly larger than those that the 14all-1.1.cgi
generate for us.  --  Does anybody know *how* these graph averages are
calculated so that I can ammend my calculation so that they agree,... or
is there a way to get RRDs::fetch/? to simply give me this average on it's
own without me having to calculate it?

Thanks in advance,
Hopeful,
Nic

--
Nic LAWRENCE - NOC Engineer - Frontier Internet Services Limited
Tel: 020 7510 4700 Fax: 020 7531 9930 http://www.frontier.net.uk