[rrd-users] Re: increase performance

paul_pot at nl.sonymusic.com paul_pot at nl.sonymusic.com
Tue Sep 4 07:50:53 MEST 2001

Peter,

I have had similar issues running Linux RH where the system was reaching
avg load of > 3 also.

I did some work on perlcc and was able to compile all polling jobs (perlcc
job -o job.executable). The load has dropped to < 1 now....

hth
paul
*speaking for himself.

[chop]

Problem:
Currently monitoring about 50 hosts and the limited server we use (a 8 year
old Sun Netra-i) has an avg load of 3. And is nearly passing its 5 minute
round time to read the information from the routers and server.

Question:
I want to increase the speed of reading out the systems. Now I'm not the
world greatest coder, but I think a lot of speed can be gained by NOT
opening a seperate socket for every snmpcall. I can do this by using
snmpwalk, storing the info in an temporary array and taking some of that
information into RRD.

Is this a good idea?

Does anybody else have any ideas to increase the performance?

Thanks,

[chop]