[rrd-users] RRA selection

Dan Winslow d.winslow at home.com
Fri Sep 7 16:43:17 MEST 2001

Hi folks. Kind of a newbie question here.

Given a definition like :

rrdtool create test.rrd -s 900
DS:inutil:GAUGE:1800:0:200
DS:oututil:GAUGE:1800:0:200
RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:1:35040
RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:96:365

I understand that this will set up two datasets named inutil and oututil,
and that they will record a PDP every 900 seconds. It will also set up two
RRA's for each DS, one that samples 1 value and averages it, and one that
samples 96 values ( a day's worth ) and averages them.

My question is that I don't understand how to control the graphing of a
particular RRA. I want to plot the two RRA's on seperate graphs. The graph
tool syntax allows me to specify a DS name, but not an RRA name, and as a
matter of fact, the RRA's don't have 'names' as such, just a consolidation
function. That is, I don't know how to specify to the graphing tool which
one of the two RRA's I want to graph.

If I do a graph call like:

graph test.rrd
DEF:inoctets=test.rrd:inutil:AVERAGE
DEF:outoctets=test.rrd:oututil:AVERAGE
LINE3:inoctets#00FF00:"In traffic"
LINE3:outoctets#0000FF:"Out traffic"

Which RRA is being plotted by the above statement? Both?

Any clues would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Dan Winslow