[rrd-users] Re: Need Ping Utility / Oracle Question

Mike Wright Mike at auckland-services.freeserve.co.uk
Mon Sep 10 23:26:06 MEST 2001

At 17:17 10/09/01 -0400, you wrote:
>I need a PING utility that can be configured to issue one PING, and return
>only the ROUND TRIP TIME as a result.  I need to call this from a PERL
>script (I don't know PERL, does it have any PING capabilities?) and record
>the RTT into an RRD database.

You can do this with the standard unix or Windows ping. There is a command
line option to set the number of pings to send, then use a perl script to
get the response line you are looking for and log the data. If you are not
sure how to parse the output from the ping command then let us know.

If you are pinging a lot of devices then try fping http://www.fping.com/
this unix pinger can ping hundreds of devices at the same time with very
little load on the pinger machine.

Good luck!

Mike Wright