[rrd-users] Re: RRD with integer values

Clifton Royston cliftonr at lava.net
Wed Sep 12 21:02:19 MEST 2001

On Wed, Sep 12, 2001 at 03:51:02PM +0100, José Maria Costa Pereira wrote:

> Hi, everybody! ... I was wondering, is it possible to create an INTEGER
> datasource; or, if not, an INTEGER round robin archive (RRA)??
>
> I want to store/graph values that are always INTEGER (number of calls). It
> doesn't make much sense to have a graph with NON INTEGER values for
> something that represents the "number of calls". Of course I can always use
> MRTG without RRD format.

  So if you have 10 calls in one 5 minute period, and 11 calls in the
next 5 minute period, and 11 calls in the next 5 minutes, what is the
*INTEGER* that represents the average number of calls in the 15 minute
period?

  Answer: there isn't one.

  So even if you are sampling and storing only integers *and* storing
them only on exact time intervals - because if you're not storing them
on exact time intervals, you should be interpolating to possibly
non-integer results - if you need to report period of more than a
single time interval, or graph any period where a pixel represents more
than a single time interval, then you need to deal with non-integers.

  -- Clifton

 Clifton Royston  --  LavaNet Systems Architect --  cliftonr at lava.net
   WWJD?   "JWRTFM!" - Scott Dorsey (kludge)   "JWG" - Eddie Aikau