[rrd-users] Re: update old times

Morgan Fruchtnicht morgan at resgen.com
Wed Apr 17 17:40:50 MEST 2002

> That's right.  You cannot update old values.
Grrr.  Why is this?  Can't there be a -force switch or something
to tell rrdtool it's OK to update an old time point?

> What you can do is make an ascii dump of the database, edit that
> dump and then restore it again.  You will have to alter each RRA
> involved.
> RTFM for "rrdtool dump" and "rrdtool restore" for the ascii dump.
I did that, but it took like 20 minutes to dump, edit, and restore
a single database(they are large).  Just doing an update would be
much easier as well as ideal since an update could be automated. I
guess I could automate the dump/edit/restore procedure, but that
would be a major PITA and 'band-aid' fix in my opinion.