[rrd-users] Problems with RRDs and an embedded Perl intrepreter (Netsaint)

Thu Aug 15 02:36:32 MEST 2002

Dear Ladies and Gentlemen,

I am writing to report what may be a problem with RRDs when used with an
embedded Perl interpreter.

The problem is that regardless of the DST (GAUGE, ABSOLUTE) or the
ostensible update time (by forcing it to be on step size boundaries),
RRDs updated by Netsaint with an embedded Perl intrepreter either have

. all zero data
. non integer data.

(Of course it may have nothing to do with RRDs or embedded Perl at all,
but when the program is run from the command line it updates the RRD
correctly, but when run by Netsaint [with the embedded Perl], the
results are as above).

I intend to try and work around the problem by removing the RRD update
from the Perl data collector - the original program, have Perl report
the data to a shell script and then call rrdtoll update from the shell
script.

I'd like to emphasise that this is almost certainly __not__ an rrdtool
problem. This letter is only for the benefit of those that may be
wanting to use RRDs with an embedded Perl intrepreter (such as Netsaint
with the optional embedded intrepreter).

If anyone would like further information (or debugging) please let me
know.

Yours sincerely.

Stanley Hopcroft

from Meditation 17, J Donne.