[rrd-users] problem with manual reset - suggestion

Pressler Florian, DI ZZPRESSF at verbund.co.at
Mon Dec 9 13:39:58 MET 2002

Hello!

I use rrdtool to measure network-traffic. Thanks for the tool! One
feature of rrdtool is to detect counter-wraps automatically, which of
course is normally useful.

BUT: There are cases when I have to reset the monitored counters
manually. This results in a (wrong) peak in the data. I have thought
about it, and suggest the following solution:

1. Add the possibility to tell rrdtool that the counters were manually
reset.
e.g.: rrdtool update file.rrd N:R
where 'R' stands for 'reset', so that rrdtool calculates the next delta
with 0 as the starting point.

What do you think about this idea? I'd love to hear a of a workaround
which makes this change unnecessary, do you know of any?

regards
Florian Pressler