[rrd-users] Re: problem with manual reset - suggestion

Pressler Florian, DI ZZPRESSF at verbund.co.at
Mon Dec 9 14:14:59 MET 2002

Von: Alex van den Bogaerdt [mailto:alex at ergens.op.het.net]

> update using the "U" value for unknown.  RRDtool doesn't get to know
> the exact value at reset time (or else you could do a regular update).

> In other words: substitute your "R" for an "U" and it should work.

It seems unlogical to me that this could work (I can't try it out at the
moment). Example: If I cannot retrieve a value for whatever reason
(e.g., because the UDP-packet containing the SNMP-Info is discarded), I
would also have an "unknown" entry in the RRD. In this case, it would be
unwanted if RRDtool assumed that the counter was reset, right?

To my mind, there must be a difference between "value unknown" (which
should lead to a gap, or interpolated data) and "value reset", which
lets rrdtool know that the counter did NOT wrap, although it might seem
so... How should RRDtool know, which of those options are true?

regards
Florian Pressler