[rrd-users] Re: =?ISO-8859-2?Q?If the samples are missing fill the blanks with the previous value. Can it =

Alex van den Bogaerdt alex at ergens.op.het.net
Tue Dec 10 23:23:58 MET 2002

On Tue, Dec 10, 2002 at 05:48:10PM +0100, arfa at poczta.onet.pl wrote:
> Which is not what I expect to happen because at 13:32:00 my machine
> was still running at the spead of 26.7 (untill it changed to 25.5 at
> 1:35:43).

All stats report the past.  You are updating at time "t" saying
to RRDtool "from the last moment until now, ``this'' happened"
(where ``this'' depends on what you input into what type of counter).

This is quite normal when you compare it to network stats:

hh:00    counter=100,000
hh:05    counter=103,000

increase in value: 3000
increase in time:   300
rate 3000/300 = 10 per second

This update describes the time range hh:00 to hh:05

A GAUGE is just a way of saying to RRDtool:
"I already know the rate, don't try and compute it yourself"

Hence this rate is also valid for hh:00 to hh:05 when you present
it to RRDtool at time hh:05.

In order to do what you want:  In your *front end* remember the
rate/speed/whatever, update with the previous value.  This way
you tell RRDtool the speed *was* 26.7 in the previous time.

Dig into the archives (fairly deep IIRC) for a discussion on
modem lines in use.  Similar story, similar solution.

HTH
Alex