[rrd-users] Re: 1 .cfg file or mulitple .cfg files?

Gerhard Ecaroh Froehlich gerhard.froehlich at produktion.gis-online.de
Wed Dec 11 11:27:39 MET 2002

Hi Ed!

Ed Grant wrote:

> All,
>
> I am new to RRDTool and was wondering what is best when it comes to my
> mrtg.cfg files. I currently have only one .cfg file that is sectioned off
> per the type of monitoring I wish to do(disk, cpu, nic, etc...). What I am
> wondering is it best when using RRDTool to have multiple configs, say one
> per device being monitored or is one config file OK?
>
> TIA

More generally my response: We had MRTG before switching to RRDTool for a lot of
servers. Not only the performance but mainly the overloaded cfg file with
redundancies (by MRTG needing HTML code in the cfg file) forced us to leave MRTG
complete. There was also a need that other not that experienced administrators
have to add or remove devices. This is hazardous if someone does not know how to
distinguish HTML from configuration. If you only have a small site which less
devices stay with one. But if you expect growing numbers devide it in more cfg -
or best - leave MRTG.

Bye, Ecaroh

--
Gerhard Ecaroh Froehlich, Systemadministrator