[rrd-users] Re: MRTG to RRDTOOL Migration

Mohamed Eldesoky m.eldesoky at tedata.net
Mon Dec 16 08:48:54 MET 2002

On Wednesday 11 December 2002 3:31 pm, Andy Murrey wrote:
> Are there any good docs on pulling old historical data from an older
> MRTG box and appending that data into an existing RRDTool environment?

You don't need docs, it is simple.

> My scenario is that I have an older MRTG box with 8 years worth of
> averages on it, that I need for historical baselining.  I am building a
> new box that will be using RRDTool to watch the entire network.  I would
> like to take that historical data from the old box, and append it to the
> new data being gathered on the new box.

Well, there is a script that comes with MRTG ( all versions !!?) that converts
the .log files to .rrd files.
That way, your old data, are stored in Round Robin files.
Now take them, and let rrdtool take them over.
You might encounter little problems if you graph totals from different
datasources, where the NAN ( uknown data) will ruin the summation, you will
need to zero them.

Regards
Mohamed Eldesoky
Systems Engineer