[rrd-users] Re: [nrg-users] New to NRG ... make fails..

steve rader rader at ginseng.hep.wisc.edu
Wed Dec 18 13:15:31 MET 2002

 > From: "Munn, Stuart SITI-IT-DIETS"
 >
 > Hello NRG users...
 >
 > Just downloaded and installed  NRG for the first time. I want to use it to
 > monitor my new DNS and sendmail services, I have been using simple RRD
 > graphs until now.
 >
 > When I try my first make rediscover after editing NRG.mconf and having
 > installed and tested the required daemons (all OK) on the two servers I get
 > the following output:
 >
 > make rediscover
 >
 > nrg-autoconf started:   Tue Dec 17 10:49:25 2002
 > nrg-autoconf: metatarget ".INIT" not found
 > nrg-autoconf finished:  Tue Dec 17 10:49:26 2002
 > time elapsed:           00:00:01
 > *** Error code 1
 > make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `.INIT'
 >
 > nrg-autoconf started:   Tue Dec 17 10:49:26 2002
 > nrg-autoconf: metatarget ".DONE" not found
 > nrg-autoconf finished:  Tue Dec 17 10:49:27 2002
 > time elapsed:           00:00:01
 > *** Error code 1
 > make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `.DONE'
 >
 > I have little or no experience with Make so am having trouble debugging. The
 > installation of RRD (V 1.0.37)and NRG all worked OK. Apache (1.3.24) is
 > already running fine on my server all installed under Solaris 2.8 on my
 > server.
 >
 > Any hints help appreciated.

What does "make -n rediscover" say?  I should just be something like

 /usr/local/nrg/bin/nrg-autoconf NRG.mconf

If that output doesn't include ".INIT", then what does "grep .INIT
*.mconf" say?  It should return no output.

If both of those look okay, then I think there's some problem with
Solaris8's version of m4.  Try commenting out lines 387 and 388 of
bin/nrg-autoconf like so

 #`$rm_rf $tmp_file`;
 #`$rm_rf $tmp_file2`;

then do "make rediscover" and send me the /tmp/nrg-autoconf.*
files.  (Sorry, I don't have have a Solaris8 system handy.)

 > Oh and is there a NRG FAQ?

Nope.

steve
- - -