[rrd-users] Re: Merging .rrd files
Alex van den Bogaerdt
alex at ergens.op.het.net
Tue Dec 31 18:38:35 MET 2002
On Tue, Dec 31, 2002 at 10:28:12AM -0700, James-lists wrote:
> I have 2 T-1's which I was polling separately, each creating a separate .rrd file. They are now bonded together
> as an IMA group and I would like to merge the old data into the new .rrd file. Each .rrd file has a unique name.
> I cannot seem to find the rrd tool to do this, could someone point me to its name or a way to do this ?
No tool. This is not a standard procedure.
How to do this (roll your own script):
1) Wait until both .rrd files are updated (so they're in sync as far
as time is concerned)
2) dump both databases to xml
3) read each RRA, line by line, merge and write to the destination
4) restore the newly created xml file
The new file can be made in the following ways:
1) you could create a 3rd database with the right properties and
dump this one just as you dump the other two. Make sure the
last update time is the same as the other 2 (so: it is in sync)
2) you could study an xml dump and create the new xml using the
knowledge you gained
3) you could really edit one of the two xml files and restore from
the edited file
Needless to say you need to be *very* careful when doing all this.
Try it out a few times before you do the definitive change, make
sure to have recent backups et cetera.
Good luck and happy newyear!
Much of what looks like rudeness in hacker circles is not intended to give
offence. Rather, it's the product of the direct, cut-through-the-bullshit
communications style that is natural to people who are more concerned about
solving problems than making others feel warm and fuzzy.
Unsubscribe mailto:rrd-users-request at list.ee.ethz.ch?subject=unsubscribe
Help mailto:rrd-users-request at list.ee.ethz.ch?subject=help
More information about the rrd-users