[rrd-users] Re: Graphing DNS statistics using RRDTool

Nate Campi nate at wired.com
Wed Feb 13 18:50:27 MET 2002

On Wed, Feb 13, 2002 at 05:30:24PM -0000, Alan Knipmeyer wrote:

> I need to graph All the popular variables from a statistics dump on a
> BIND 8 name server. I need something 'out the box' to help me put these
> figures into RRDTool and produce some graphs. Can anyone recommend a
> front end I can use to report that stats ? I'm pretty sure that RRDtool
> would be excellent at this !

I wrote a perl script to query the graphs over snmp, net-snmp allows
scripts to be run, and doesn't run it more often then every 30 seconds
even if you query it over and over.

$ snmpget NAMESERVER SNMP_COMMUNITY enterprises.ucdavis.extTable.extEntry.extOutput.2
enterprises.ucdavis.extTable.extEntry.extOutput.2 = 60146054 7198491
10306427 11192315 281 1878 13503 408 4877 88864234

See what the graphs look like at http://www.campin.net/DNS/ (bottom).

I've never documented it or released the code (I'd have to ask my
employer for permission), but if people would like me to see if I can do
it, I will check into it.

OBTW, there's huge problems with SNMP implementations right now, you
really need packet filter protection if you're using SNMP.
Nate Campi     Job: hostmaster at lycos.com and root at wired.com

f u cn rd ths, u cn gt a gd jb n cmptr prgmmng.  -Anon.