[rrd-users] Re: Calculating a 5%-rule

Kathy Kessey kkessey at excitehome.net
Thu Feb 14 18:13:27 MET 2002

If you don't want to keep 30 days worth of individual samples, determine
how many samples make up a month (5 minute samples, 30 days = 8640), take
5 percent of that (432), save off that many (432) samples, each day
recalculate the top (432) to be saved.  At the end of the month, you have
the top 5% samples.  The lowest one = 95th percentile.  We ran into this
not wanting to redo 100,000+ RRDs to keep 30days of data.

Kathy Kessey                  kkessey at excitehome.net
Excite at Home                   650.556.5087