[rrd-users] SNMP - what do i do wrong?

spiekey spiekey at hotmail.com
Tue Feb 26 18:15:02 MET 2002

Hello
I just installed rrdtoll successfiully and i read the RRD tutorial, i did
the little KM Car example, and i must say that i am pretty impressed ;)

I want to capture my networktraffic now, and i have a few problems with
SNMP:

$ snmpget 192.168.1.40 password OID
Timeout: No Response from 192.168.1.40.

$ snmpget pdserver 192.168.1.40 system.sysdescr.0
system.sysdescr.0: Unknown Object Identifier (Sub-id not found: system ->
sysdescr)

Can someone give me an example how it works?

"The device should answer with a description of itself, perhaps empty. Until
you got a valid answer from a device, perhaps using a different
``password'', or a different device, there is no point in continuing." -->
So what does that mean? If it doesnt work, i just gotta leave it? huh? ;D

Any Tips/Help are welcome!!!!

Cheers, Spiekey