[rrd-users] Re: SNMP - what do i do wrong?

Serge Maandag serge.maandag at staff.zeelandnet.nl
Wed Feb 27 09:44:18 MET 2002

Hmm, I'm not sure you understand the meaning of the read community name.

Snmp gives a lot of info, so it makes your device vulnerable, security
wise.
Therefore you have to define a read only password and a read write
password on your device, to keep the wrong people out.

Those passwords are called communities in snmp world.

The read only password defaults to "public" and the read/write password
defaults to "private". Don't keep those, though. It's the first thing
malicious hackers will try.

For now:

- Make sure your device accepts udp on port 161 from you
- Make sure the device has an snmp agent configured.
- Make sure you are using the wrong community name
- if snmpget won't work, first try snmpwalk to view an entire tree.

Serge Maandag.