[rrd-users] Re: how would you help me? / Links for usefull tools round rrdtool

Gerhard Ecaroh Froehlich gerhard.froehlich at produktion.gis-online.de
Mon Jan 14 10:08:50 MET 2002

Hi zeeshan,

zeeshan ahmed wrote:

> i am new user for rrd tool, i have been using mrtg for last three months now i > want to play with rrd tool, can any one help me in easir way how do i set it
> up for my routers and switches

I have searched long time for a usefull tool for migrating from MRTG to RRDTool.
Mainly cause i am no programmer at all. At least i have a few links collected
which i can comment after a period of testing.

An very easy way is to still let mrtg do the collecting and add 'use rrdtool' in
mrtg.cfg. This is described in the MRTG/RRDTool Documentation. As data is now
stored in rrdtool and no html and pictures are generated by mrtg anymore you
need to extract it by an cgi. Usefull in this case:

 - 14all.cgi, <http://www.uni-ulm.de/~rbawidam/mrtg-rrd/>
   Usefull, fast to setup but it doesnot scale well in big environents
 - cgi Scripts <http://www.cheshire.demon.co.uk/pub/>
   Takes automaticaly his setup from your existing mrtg.cfg without to much
   configuration. Scales good up to 20 hosts but i had some difficulties
   to change defaults. Remember, i am not a programmer ;-(
 - cricket, i didnot test this. My first impression was that it does fit
   network devices better than host performance. But i can be wrong.

For larger environments there are two solutions which use rrdtool without mrtg.
Not all old archives can be migrated:

 - NRG <http://nrg.hep.wisc.edu>
   Seems to work fine on Linux, my Solaris brought some difficulties
 - Remstats <http://remstats.crc.ca>
   Good for very large environments

Without some knowledge round compiling, networking, TCP/IP and SNMP it would be
not simple to set it up. RRDTool is no clicking tool but a scalable flexibel
tool for people who have knowledge in scripting. My experience to commercial
solutions are: Expensive, need lots of work in configuring, does often not fit
special environments. RRDTool is really great! Thanks to Tobi and all
programmers round GNU - good peace of code indeed.

> i would be very thank ful to you
>
> by ebye
> zeeshan ahmed
> Network Engineer
> Worldcall DotCom
> Pakistan
> ph no:09003009414363
>
> --

Sure there are a lot of other good tools round rrdtool and networkmanagment.
Some need lots of experience, some are quiet easy to install. Try it out. If you
have a Unix System most things would be easier, best is Linux at all cause most
of required modules, scripts, compilers are availabel for Linux. I had to set it
up on Solaris - this one is really hard work sometimes. Maybe someone in the
list will reply with additional information. Most of them are on the rrdtool
website as description of 'Frontends' which often mean Backend too to collect
the data.

Cheers, Ecaroh

Gerhard Ecaroh Froehlich, Systemadministrator