[rrd-users] Confirm what I am getting

Mike mpdharley at mpdharley.com
Thu Jan 31 01:06:51 MET 2002

I've gone through the tutorial and the mailing list archives and I
believe that I have created the RRD and am graphing with the correct
options.  However, I'd like to have a confirmation of that from someone
who is more adept with RRDTool that I am.

What I do:
1) Parse through syslog output looking for packets that were denied
access by a filter.  I add up the number of packets that were denied
(both total and ICMP only) for a 5 minute period.

2) Update the RRD.

What I am looking for:
What I am trying to do is get a count of the number of packets that were
denied access (both total and ICMP only) for a given period of time.
Currently, I'm hard coding that to 5 minutes for development and until I
understand RRDTool better.

I created the RRD with the following command:
rrdtool create acllog.rrd DS:pkts:ABSOLUTE:600:U:U
DS:icmp:ABSOLUTE:600:U:U RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:1:600 RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:6:700
RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:24:775 RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:288:797

My updates then take the form of:
rrdtool update acllog.rrd 1010074250:105:99

Finally, I output the graphs with the following:
rrdtool graph <filename>.png -s <modifier>
DEF:pkts=acllog.rrd:pkts:AVERAGE CDEF:abstot=pkts,300,*
CDEF:absicmp=icmp,300,* AREA:abstot#00FF00:"All Packets"
LINE:absicmp#FF0000:"ICMP Packets\c" --vertical-label "Packet Count"

Where filename will change based on the modifier and I use the following
modifiers:
-86400:  daily graph
-604800: weekly graph
-2419200: monthly graph
-29030400: yearly graph

Based on what I've read (and what I've "borrowed" (<G>) from the
Tutorial and the mailing list archives), I believe that the graphs will
be based on the number of packets that arrived over a 5 minute period.

Am I correct?

TIA

Mike