[rrd-users] unknown problem with rrdtool

claudiu at rdscj.ro claudiu at rdscj.ro
Fri Jul 12 10:49:17 MEST 2002

hello...
I have around 60 equipments that I want to monitor for different OIDs.
I made a PHP scrips that makes an SELECT for the names of equips, ip, etc and for each equip in makes an SNMPGET for each OID. This script is run every 5 minutes. I tested it and it takes it around 2 minutes to complete.
For values stored as GAUGE or ABSOLUTE I have no problem. But when it comes to COUNTERs (I tried DERIVE also) I experience a strange behavior:
1: there are RRA's that store value 0 forever even thoe the values gathered are OK (I run mrtg on a separate machine and it works fine). This problem appears only for some equips.
2: there is a number of equips for which the RRA's store good values but in time (few days) they begin to store 0-es. After a fiew days, they store good values again without me doing anithing.

Here is a fetch for such am example:

1026209100: nan
1026209400: nan
1026209700: 2.4074187726e+03
1026210000: 1.5521383085e+03
etc
1026245100: 1.6223075613e+04
1026245400: 1.5676785020e+04
1026245700: 2.5510556889e+03
1026246000: 1.1249871111e+02
1026246300: 0.0000000000e+00
1026246600: 0.0000000000e+00

and from that moment only 0-es

an info for that rrd file look like this:

filename = "ifInOctets.rrd"
rrd_version = "0001"
step = 300
last_update = 1026463526
ds[data].type = "COUNTER"
ds[data].minimal_heartbeat = 900
ds[data].min = 0.0000000000e+00
ds[data].max = NaN
ds[data].last_ds = "2147483647"
ds[data].value = 0.0000000000e+00
ds[data].unknown_sec = 0
rra[0].cf = "AVERAGE"
rra[0].rows = 105120
rra[0].pdp_per_row = 1
rra[0].xff = 5.0000000000e-01
rra[0].cdp_prep[0].value = NaN
rra[0].cdp_prep[0].unknown_datapoints = 0

Thank you in advance for any help...