[rrd-users] simple graphing

Paul Bais paul at microweb.nl
Thu Jul 18 11:20:30 MEST 2002

Hi all,

I'm somewhat new to rrdtool. I want to graph the number of visitors to a
webpage. I have a script that reads the value every hour and puts it into a
rrd database. Now I want to make graphics for the last day, week etc.

However, I don't want the average, max, min or last functions. I just want
'the value'. Is that possible? My rrd db uses the average function, but it
turns out that's not what I want, or maybe it should be defined in another
way. This is my db:

rrdtool create logins.rrd \
    -b 1025474400 \
    -s 3600 \
    DS:active:GAUGE:14400:0:U \
    DS:inactive:GAUGE:14400:0:U \
    RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:1:24 \
    RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:24:31 \
    RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:168:52

It starts at july 1st, expects 2 values every hour and collects averages every
hour, day and week. I would like to see a graphic with the actual logins per
hour. Not averaged over the whole day.

Thanks and greetings,

Paul