[rrd-users] Re: Need help in RRDtool usage...

Kalpesh Patel kpatel at dli.com
Mon Jun 3 17:36:46 MEST 2002

Yap I did indeed find them in the doc directory of the package after
spending some time...unfortunately I was expecting to get basic knowledge in
the tutorial by Alex at
http://people.ee.ethz.ch/~oetiker/webtools/rrdtool/tutorial/rrdtutorial.html
.

This was my faux paus as I did not spend enough time to look for the
information.

Although I do have few other questions. Given following options to the
RRDs::create:

@options = ("-b", $start, "-s", $step,
            "DS:rows:GAUGE:$heartbeats:0:U",
            "RRA:AVERAGE:0.999:1:$runs");

What is the relationship between $start and $step if I want to start
collecting the data at a $step when it created for the first time?

I would also assume that the tool extrapolates the data for which data
inserted do not perfectly align the time specified in the step when the
database is created. Is there anyway to prevent the tool from extrapolating
the data and take the value that was fed?

I also assume that when running the dump function of the RRDtool, the
database shows NaN entries for time prior to creation time.

Kalpesh...