[rrd-users] rrdtool create and data input questions

Daniel Curry dcurry at cariocas.com
Tue Jun 4 03:27:14 MEST 2002

Hello everyone.

Please note, that I am NOT a programmer, and this is probably a VERY
simple thing to fix.

I have a script (/usr/bin/vmstat | sed -e '/^   procs/d'| sed -e '/^ r
b  w/d' | awk '{ print systime() ":"  $4 ":" $5 ":" $6}')  that is
getting memory stats for me from the local machine.

Here is a sample of the output:

1023149803:3488:64656:58572

With this in mind, I am having a bit of trouble creating the .rrd file
and putting the data into it.

Here is the create command I used:

rrdtool create monitor-mem.rrd --start 1023148813
DS:vm_used:COUNTER:60:U:U DS:free_mem:COUNTER:60:U:U
DS:buffers:COUNTER:60:U:U RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:1:24

I am wanting to take data samples every 60 seconds and graph all three
of these values.  My first question is: did I create the rrd correctly
for this?  And secondly, can someone help me figure out how to get the
data into the .rrd, please?  When I tried to rrdtool update file.rrd <
my script.sh I get an error about not enough arguments.

Thanks for the help and the pointers...

Daniel Curry
IT Manager
Cariocas
625 Second Street
Suite 201
San Francisco, CA 94107
ph: 415-348-6516
fx: 415-348-6505
cell: 510-579-6680

"If A equals success, then the formula is: A = X + Y + Z,
X is work. Y is play. Z is keep your mouth shut."
  - Albert Einstein