[rrd-users] Re: Monitoring each CPU in a SMP server

Thomas Erskine erskine at sourceworks.com
Wed Jun 26 19:56:28 MEST 2002

At 14:08 2002-06-26 +0200, Iñaki Martínez wrote:

>Kaixo Thomas Erskine!!!
>
> > >  1) how to get data for each CPU
> > >     now i get via mpstat, a program that show each CPU status
> >
> > "mpstat -P ALL" works for me under linux.
>
>  Yes... for me too......
>
>  I did ask for another better method.....

What's wrong with this?  If you want to monitor multiple machines from a
central point then it's not very helpful.  You'll need some way to collect
it remotely.  However, for the local machine, this is simple and simple is
good.

> > >  3) how to graph ALL CPUs in the same graph, if possible
> > >     if NOT possible how to graph, one for each CPU???
> >
> > Where's the difficulty?
> >
> > rrdtool graph xyzzy.png \
> >          --start ... \
> >          DEF:user0=my.rrd:user0:AVERAGE
> >          DEF:user1=my.rrd:user1:AVERAGE
> >          LINE1:user0#ff0000
> >          LINE1:user1#00ff00
>
>  OK.... you are right....
>
>  But for each CPU you have 4 lines (user,nice,system and idle) so could be
>very confused graph......
>
>  I think about stack areas, but with two CPUs you have a very big graph.

Was this question "how do I make such a graph", or "how do I combine all
this information into a comprehensible graph"?  I agree that cramming
multiple CPUs onto one 2D graph is going to be confusing.  For 2 CPUs, you
could have one be positive and one negative, or one as stacked lines and
one as stacked areas.  For more, I think that it'd be better to have one
graph per CPU and put up a page with all the different CPU graphs on one page.