[rrd-users] RRD Tutorial - Question -Real World Example

spiekey spiekey at hotmail.com
Fri Mar 1 09:23:47 MET 2002

Hello!
i have SuSE73, and lo, eth0. I want to monitor my traffic.
I tried to make such a "Real Worl example", the one in the tutorial.
But i dont really know how to handle this:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
(is this meant to be a script?)
while not the end of the universe
   do
      get result of
         snmpget router community 2.2.1.10.4
      into variable $in
      get result of
         snmpget router community 2.2.1.16.4
      into variable $out
      rrdtool update myrouter.rrd N:$in:$out
      wait for 5 minutes
   done
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
So i changed it to:
[...]
in='snmpwalk localhost public
try.ifInOctets.1'                        --> HELP
echo $in  #to check what it did
out='snmpwalk localhost public
fEntry.ifOutOctets.1'                     --> HELP
echo $out      #to check what it did
   ./rrdtool update localhost.rrd N:$in:$out
sleep 10
echo "Update finished"
[...]

in=' ...' doesnt give me the output of my snmpwalk command (of course ;P).

Am i going the right way? should the scipt look like that?

Cheers, Spiekey!