[rrd-users] Re: Monitor TCP Traffic (ftp, http, other..)

Paul C. Williamson pwilliamson at mandtbank.com
Sat Mar 2 13:45:10 MET 2002

This has one basic assumption - that this information
is logged somewhere.  By and large, most of the
protocol information is not kept any place.  Having
said that, you probably could do it using ipchains.
There might be something for doing that in the contrib
directory for mrtg.

Like I said on the mrtg list, you need ntop.  That
uses RRDTool.  And it will listen for any traffic on
your eth0 card.  That's useful only if your unix
machine if the firewall/gateway/router for your
network.

Paul

>>> "spiekey" <spiekey at hotmail.com> 03/01/02 19:28 PM >>>

Hello!

> You need to define what you mean by "monitor" and what your
> equipment will let you do.

By Monitor i mean that i have an SuSE7.3 Server and i wanna display its
traffic with a graph, like this:
http://people.ee.ethz.ch/~oetiker/webtools/rrdtool/gallery/at-01.html

just with the values (MB).

> I have addressed in detail some aspects of this type of traffic monitoring
in

> http://www.slac.stanford.edu/comp/net/netflow/SLAC-Netflow.html

exactly like that (but this is about breakdowns, isnt it?):
http://www.slac.stanford.edu/comp/net/netflow/tcpeach.html

was that done with rrdtool and snmp?

> Currently I am using netflow, however in the past I have done the same
thing
> with strategically placing rmon1 and rmon2 probes around the network.
>
> There are several vendors which provide products to do what you want. They
not
> only have the software but the hardware.
>
> Check some of the trade magazines, and go to a convention something like
> Networld+ Interop in May 2002.
>
> There is an awful lot to learn.

uffff, i know ;D