[rrd-users] Re: price graphing..

Michael L. Hostbaek mich at bomb.dk
Wed Mar 6 16:55:57 MET 2002

hmm... I am not sure if I understand correctly.. but anyhows.. but it be
dead wrong to create a rrd like this:

root at mail2 data/rrdtool# rrdtool create cpuprice.rrd --step 3600 \
DS:price:GAUGE:18000:0:500 \
RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:1:720 \
> RRA:MAX:0.5:1:720 \
> RRA:MIN:0.5:1:720

I want to be able to show up to a month back. I do not need a year
graph. The only problem, and question that remainsunsolved is:

today I might get 5 different prices from my DB, tomorrow there might be
6 or even 10... All these values need to go in the rrd. So I should
perhaps create a perl script, calculating the average of my prices. Then
make 3 datasources, one for the average price (at this point of time),
one for the maximum price, and one for the minimum price. (and they
should all be GAUGE's) and then just make one RRA. How would I make that
??? Like this:

rrdtool create newcpu.rrd --step 3600 \
DS:avprice:GAUGE:18000:0:500 \
DS:maxprice:GAUGE:18000:0:500 \
DS:minprice:GAUGE:18000:0:500 \
RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:1:720

and then feed the three values to the rrd every 5th hour ??

I should then be able to create a 24h graph with the following, command:

rrdtool graph prices.gif --start -86400 \
DEF:average=newcpu.rrd:avprice:AVERAGE LINE2:average#FF0000:"Average" \
DEF:max:newcpu.rrd:maxprice:AVERAGE LINE2:max#000000:"Max" \
DEFmin:newcpu.rrd:minprice:AVERAGE LINE2:min#0000FF:"Min"

Would that work ?

Thank you very much for your help and pointers, which are greatly
appriciated !!

Regards,

Michael Hostbaek