[rrd-users] Re: Summing up (fwd)

Tobias Oetiker oetiker at ee.ethz.ch
Fri May 17 07:14:11 MEST 2002

Today Matthias Mikuletz wrote:

> I wonder why there isn't a 'SUM' consolidation function implemented. I
> think it is needed quite often.
> When monitoring a 'counter', you will in many cases will want to have the
> consolidated data summed up - not averaged e.g. when counting mails I'm
> not interested in the averaged 5min number of mails (when updating every
> 5mins) but in the e.g. hourly sums.

Matthias,

RRDtool works with rates. Sums may seem interesting at first glance
but thei are not realy. Because using rates all the data you had
available as well just better ... lets say you want to have the
number of emails every hour. Just have rrdtool calculate the hourly
email 'rate per second and multiplie this with 3600 and viola
there.

If at some later stage you are interestedd in emails per day or
month, the same again ... always based on x amount per seconds ...

> but wouldn't it be more straightforward to have a 'sum' consolidation
> function (besides average, min, max, last)?

no

> e.g. certain frontends who allow to select the consolidation function but
> which don't use CDEF's could deal better with that.

if the frontend can not use cdef, talk to the author ... I am not
aware of any non opensource frontends ...

> did I get somethig completely wrong? is it possible and don't know how?

yes ...

cheers
tobi

--
/_  __/_  / /  (_) Oetiker, ETZ J97, ETH, 8092 Zurich, Switzerland