[rrd-users] All for nothing

Matthias Mikuletz mmi at ilpoe.uni-stuttgart.de
Fri May 17 14:16:55 MEST 2002

Alex, thanks for your answer.
It seems that the feature I addressed is implemented already.
I didn't know because I used an rrdtool-rpm shippped with the distribution
(SuSE8.0) which is 1.0.33.

In stable 1.0.37 there is a hint in the documentation ( "..consolidation
function (CF) (averag,minimum,maximum,TOTAL,last)"). I didn't check until
now if it's also really implemented.
In the cvs-snap it can be found too.

I'll try check it out as soon as possible.

Tobi, also thanks for your answer.
I don't think that I didn't manage to explain my question good enough.
(at least Alex and Olivier did get it right.)

If I'm for instance measuring dropped packets on a firewall, which in my
case is a counter, then I get something like '65 dropped packets in the
last five minutes (update interval 300s). But in the next consolidation
archive, e.g. accumulated to hours, I'm not interested in 'average
number of packets dropped per 5 minutes, but in 'packets dropped per
hour'. And in the yearly overview I'm interested in 'packets dropped per
day'.
In this case the scale of the y-axis differs between the RRA's in an RRD.
And it's only a matter of scale, nothing else. I know that.

But I can imagine many situations, at least in the case of using a
counter, where it is much more adequate to grow the scale of the y-axis
while growing the scale of the x-axis.
(The picture should be getting bigger in both directions)

Imagine I read a counter of emails containing a virus getting caught by
my mx scan engine. I have a tool (cacti. cacti is great!) that counts
different things every 5 minutes. So it also counts the virusses every 5
mins. But this number is usually small, often zero.
In the end after having consolidated a few times using 2 or 3 RRA's
(weekly, monthly, yearly), I come up with 'average number of virusses
caught per 5 minutes at some day (one consolidated point per day). This is
ridiculous. What I obviously want to know is 'number of virusses per day'.
And in the other RRA's I will want to know e.g. 'number of virusses per
hour'.

I really think that this is quite a commonly wanted way to look at
consolidated counters, isn't it?

Certainly you then have to label the y-axes accordingly.
(can this be done?)

Greets to all and thanks
Matthias