[rrd-users] Re: Increasing One Year RRD Database to Two Years

Martin Rheumer martinr at hotkey.net.au
Wed May 22 04:41:30 MEST 2002

Gents,

Once you do this..
What happens to mrtg does it not care and just keep logging leaving
the the averaging of the yearly data to rrd ?

Can the same be applied to daily.. ?
Ie would like to keep every 5 minute collection for 2 years.
( I got the disk space, not the patience for management asking
why they cant see the daily results for 2 weeks ago ).

Perhaps someone who has done this wouldnt mind posting commands /
examples of disk space after they have done the same.

Thanks again.
Martin

At 05:53 PM 5/21/02 +0200, Alex van den Bogaerdt wrote:

>Brian E. Seppanen wrote:
>>

>> Is it possible to take an existing rrd database that stores data with a
>> one year limit and expand it to a two year limit?    Will this impact the
>
>You can.  "rrdtool resize".  This command will generate a *new* database
>which you should check and when found to be all right you can move the new
>one over the old.
>
>> data within the database?   Has anyone done this to a large number of RRD
>> databases, are there any caveats?
>
>No, not for large amounts.  One caveat that I know of is that you may
>update the old database while you're checking the new one.  This means
>you can loose one update or so.
>
>Checking the database may not be necessary.  When I implemented the
cut