[rrd-users] NEWBIE WARNING: RRA selection during FETCH

Warnes, Jason SDH warnesj at sdh.sk.ca
Sun May 26 16:35:15 MEST 2002

Hi there.  I'm fairly new to RRDTool and Perl but I'm having a blast with
them both, graphing some of our Windows Terminal Server usage:

http://www.mp3car.com/usersites/littlej/test.gif
<http://www.mp3car.com/usersites/littlej/test.gif>

But I'm having a problem.  I've defined an RRDTool database for each server
as so:

	DS:connections:GAUGE:1200:0:U
	RRA:MAX:0.5:1:1440
	RRA:MAX:0.5:144:1095

The connections data source is sampled every 10 minutes with '0' and
'unknown' as minimum and maximum values (respectively).  I'm keeping two
RRA's; one that stores each MAX value from the above DS for a period of 1440
samples (10 days), and one that stores the MAX value from 144 samples (1
day) for a period of 1095 samples (3 years).

Now here is my problem.  When I do a FETCH for a period of 7 days it looks
like I'm getting data from the second RRA, not the first.  I'm trying to get
the MAX connections in the past 7 days for each server and with the FETCH
going into the second RRA, the resolution of the numbers and times I'm
getting are not detailed enough.  But if I do a FETCH for a period of 5 days
it works fine.  I have about 8+ days of data in each RRA so I'm not sure why
the FETCH is getting data out of the second archive.  Any help would be
appretiated.

Thanks.

Jason...