[rrd-users] How to differ spikes from real traffic

Gerhard Ecaroh Froehlich gerhard.froehlich at produktion.gis-online.de
Mon May 27 09:17:17 MEST 2002

Hi,

i've set up RRDTool (SNMP) and everything works fine. So me too has some spikes
in the graphs. But most of them are looking like there just heavy traffic when
copying large files or databases. So how can i differ short heavy network
traffic from spikes? Should i imagine a real spike as "single" line up or can
there be 2,3 or 4 upgoing lines around? Are there other ways to differ real
traffic from sudden spikes?

I feel this is difficult cause our network is pretty good and consists mainly of
routers and switches and therefor is capable of transfering up to 100 MBit
(Gigabit lines too). Interfaces are allmost all SunQuad NIC. And it's not easy
to track down whether a cron made a backup or it's just another machine in that
bunch of hundreds of servers doing something other.

I.E.:

Could be short heavy traffic?

_______________ __-____|____-|-_--______
Max: 75M Avg: 600 kbit

Maybe spike?

 ________________-___||_______-_________
Max: 75M Avg: 300 kbit

Real traffic as known:

Max: 10M Avg: 2M

Thanks you all for help.

	Ecaroh

--
Gerhard Ecaroh Froehlich, Systemadministrator

-- Type: application/octet-stream
-- Size: 268k (275182 bytes)