[rrd-users] Using stack vs lines - opinions?

'Donald Mahler' dmahler at telcordia.com
Tue May 28 15:22:26 MEST 2002

Using rrdtool,  I am currently graphing  between 5-15 lines on the same
graph, showing for example server  cpu consumption across all servers in a
specific business unit.    it seems to work great (now that I am setting
colors that differentiate nicely :-)

Question: I was wondering if people had any guidelines or opinions
regarding the use of lines vs stack.  When do you use lines vs when do you
use stacks.

The stack option certainly seems more interesting looking, but I am not
sure how well it looks when the "lines" need to intersect a lot.  Is it
best used when the data tends to "stack" cleanly?

thanks for any opinions...

Don Mahler
SAIC/Telcordia