[rrd-users] Re: Error: could not lock RRD. When I am using NFS

Gerhard Ecaroh Froehlich gerhard.froehlich at produktion.gis-online.de
Mon Nov 4 13:16:37 MET 2002

Hi,

"Saravia, Jovanny - (Col)" wrote:

> Hello rrd-users.
>
> I migrate some days ago mrtg to rrd. and everything works fine for me.
> Unafortunately I have more than 5000 targets to be monitored. I was using
> NFS in order to have 3 servers monitoring and updating in the same Web
> Server.

As long as i have read in the lists it is not possible to run RRDTool over NFS.
As a workaround you can use Apaches "rewrite engine" module. So you store all
rrds on your collecting 3 servers, setup apache on each of them and melt the
whole stuff together via your Webserver and rewrite engine. Have a look at the
apache documentation for additional information. A quick hint is on the end of
this mail.

If you plan to back things up, try to use mirroring. At least, i know mirroring
is NO backup. Additionaly new Sun Solaris comes out with a brand new feature to
take 'snapshots' like you may know it from NetAppFiler.

> Rgds,
>
>         Jovanny Saravia

bye, Ecaroh

--
Gerhard Ecaroh Froehlich, Systemadministrator

--- Apache Rewrite Engine (module required) ---

RewriteEngine on
RewriteRule   ^/collectorhost1/(.*)
http://collectorhost1:1234/collectorhost1/$1  [P]
RewriteRule   ^/collectorhost2/(.*)