[rrd-users] Re: percentage as opposed to rate

Alex van den Bogaerdt alex at ergens.op.het.net
Thu Nov 14 00:23:36 MET 2002

On Thu, Nov 14, 2002 at 01:37:20AM +0530, Sharath K Udupa wrote:

> I want to use RRD to graph the maximum lines available and the current lines
> used on a cisco device. I donot want the rate, but the percentage of usage,
> ie. at time X, the percentage of usage is A%, time X+10 , the percentage is
> B%. Is it possible to do this in rrd?

Not really.  You could use GAUGE which tells RRDtool the number
is already a rate and RRDtool shouln't calculate it.

Mind that normalization still occurs.

> btw what is the LAST consolidation function.

faq site -> consolidation.
If 6 entries are consolidated into one, the following applies:

MIN takes the minimum of those 6
AVERAGE calculates the average of those 6
MAX takes the maximum of those 6

now you guess what LAST does :)